October 14, 2009

Basbousa Cake -"just a kiss" for you עוגת בסבוסה

Bas-bousa Cake -"just a kiss"

Just a kiss - The Egyptian cake .
Few months ago ,I was looking for an old german cake recipe. I knew the cake is baked with planty of sweet cream and some kind of dried fruits and nuts. The recipe wasn't found. But.. like always when you clean or arange your stuff.. I found another recipe.
It was cut out from a very old newspaper,probably from the daily newspaper "Maariv" . I'm not sure if it's from the seventies. My mother cut the recipe and I'm not sure if she baked this cake ever.
Here is
the photo of that cake recipe from the old newspaper. It was the Basbousa Cake- the Egyptian semolina cake .
I like this cake's name ="Bass - Bossa " in arabic it means = just a kiss .


This recipe was listed in the newspaper was received from Mrs. Levana Zamir, in a competition of Egyptian food in Israel. The preparation of this cake caught my eye.. and I'm a semolina lover too..
So what's different in this semolina cake?
You have to use :
Semolina ,Sugar,Butter, Coconut,Yogurt and vanilla. (no eggs at all)
The cake is Partially baked and then spread with melted butter. After baking you have to mark small squares,then you pour over a sugar syrup and deepen the cuts.


Since the size of the bakind dish wasn't mentioned ,also I was not sure of the results ..I decided to make half of the cake amount and and half the syrup too .
I've baked my cake in 22cm square tin .I think even 20cm square dish will fit and the cakewill be slightly higher.
--
I'm very pleased with the results , I hope you'll like this cake, like me :-)

Basbousa Cake
עוגת בסבוסה - מתכון בעברית
For the cake:
250 gr semolina
150 gr sugar (=3/4 cup)
100+50 melted butter
1/2 cup coconut (= grated coconut )
1/2 cup yogurt
1 ts vanilla

For the syrup:
150 gr sugar
125 ml water (=1/2 cup)
juice of a small lemon
vanilla
H O W :1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. In a bowl mix the semolina with 100 gr of the melted butter.
3. Add the sugar and coconut and mix.
4. Add the yogurt and vanilla and mix .
5. Pour the cake batter into a butterd baking dish (20-22 cm).
6. Mark small squares - about 3cm each .don't cut the batter deeply.
7. Bake the cake in the hot oven for 15-20 minutes. Take the cake out of the oven and spread with the remainind 50 gr butter.
8. Continue to bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cake is golden- brown.
-
In the meantime make the syrup:Cook the syrup ingredients, bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes (it will be sticky); let the syrup cool until the cake is done.
Pour all the syrup at once on the hot cake. after cooling (when the cake is still warm cut into small squares (just deep the cuts)
Chanita.H© כל הזכויות שמורות על תכנים ותמונות שלנו
התפרסם היום בבלוג האוכל של חניתה ורן
This content belongs to Chanit Harel at My Mom’s Recipes And More. All writing and photography copyright © 2005-2009 unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved.http://momsrecipesandmore.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi..this cake looks really good!! Can u advise whether the 1/2 cup coconut in the recipe refers to coconut milk or grated coconut?

Thks,
Susanna, Australia

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Hi Susanna
You need grated coconut for this cake.
Thanks for visiting :)

Anonymous said...

Shalom! It looks absolutely delicious, I just bought the other day semolina and I have been wanting to try to bake something with it... I am so lucky I found your blog. it is indeed very welcoming and nice... and going to stick around.
Warms greetings from Iceland.

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Thank you , you're very Welcome !
greetings from Israel :)

Anonymous said...

My child has a presentation for school and the subject is Egypt, she is fascinated by it!!! We have to bring some food from the country and I think the kids will love this recipe, thanks.....wish me luck!

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Good luck !

Creative Commons License
יצירה זו מופצת תחת רישיון ייחוס-שימוש לא מסחרי-איסור יצירות נגזרות 1.0 Israel של Creative Commons. Creative Commons License
by TwitterButton.com