July 7, 2006

Koulouria - sesame rings from Greece


I've never visited Greece… but I told Ran today I would like to.. Koulouria -those realy wonderful sesame rings are known in Greece as a street Food , and you can find them in towns, all over Greece. As written in Culinaria Greece Where I've found this tasty recipe (I've made very small changes from the original recipe from this great Cookbook) "….The koulouri is more then just a sesame ring,however.The koulourds (the sesame ring seller) belive that it is what unites the Greek people,and he should know…"
"… the aroma of fresh,warm koulouria in the early evening was enough to make people think of better days…" You know what ? I ate 2 of them, but I could eat more, without nothing,, It's not salty , not too sweet, It's even not like the Arabic sesame Bagels which are more like buns or rolls, couse you can fill them with goodies..and are very good too. But I'll try filling those too.. I'm not sure this Cookbook is very popular in Israel, don't ask me why, maybe Israeli gourmets prefer cookbooks in Hebrew..I don't.. and I realy love this cookbook ! בייגלה שומשום יווניים
It's very easy, but you have to make the yeast mixture (250 ml water+3/4 tsp dry yeast+ 3 TB flour) 24 hours ahead, the next day you can make the Koulouri dough and bake them.. this recipe is for 20 rings.Again I realy hope you'll like this recipe as we do. I think It can be a nice gift too.
Koulouria/ based on Culinaria Greece בייגלה שומשום יווניים
3/4 tsp+ 3/4 tsp dried yeast (1 1/2 tsp at all)
850 gr Ap flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (=100 gr) sugar
4 TB (=50 ml) oil (not olive oil)
Sesame seeds (200-300gr)
Dissolve 3/4 tsp dry yeast in 250 ml warm water and mix in 3 TB of flour.Leave the rising yeast to stand for 24 hours.Next day,mix 3/4 tsp of dry yeast with another 250 ml warm water,add 3 TB flour and leave to stand for about 15 minutes.
Sift 750 gr AP flour into a bowl with the salt,then make a well in the center. Pour the sugar, oil and the 2 lots of rising yeast into this and knead slowly until the mixture form a dough,add 100gr flour to make the dough.cover the bowl and leave to prove until it has doubled in size (1 hour) .Then knock it back and knead for another 5 minutes.pull of small lumps of dough (about 70-80 gr- you get 19-20 )and roll them into thin sausage shape, about 14 in =35 cm in length.
Dip these in water and roll them in sesame seeds before pressing the 2 ends firmly together into a ring.
Preheat the oven to 430 F(220C), lay the sesame rings on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until golden on the outside .Eat warm or cold... [more pic+this+this] +greek food +update: 11.6.2007-this post is also here:athens post club koulouria

Cornish Pasty Pie /delia online
New recipes and links: Mark Plonsky Fine Art Photography [פרפרי ישראל-קישורים טובים למטה]בלוגרים ישראלים - טיפים+ מקורות מידע שימושיים + פורלוג צמתי מידע
" "Tiul" in Hebrew means trip - tour - hike" - "If you like Traveling and hiking,
This website is for you"..Beat the egg yolks and the baking powder until smooth
Torta di nocciola - Hazelnut cake/REAL ITALIAN FOOD BY Paul lay עוגת אגוזים איטלקית
200 g peeled hazelnuts
3 eggs, separated
10 g (=1 TB) baking powder
100 g sugar
100 g butter
200 g plain flour
Grated rind of 1 lemon
125 g milk
Toast the nuts for few minutes (don't burn) , chop them coarsely.
Beat the egg yolks and the baking powder until smooth .
Add all the remaining ingredients except the egg whites and mix .
Beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold them into the mixture.
Pour the cake mixture into a 20 cm (=8 in) round cake tin,bake at 200C (=400F) 30 minutes +-
הערות לבייגלה שושמשום מיוון:מתכון מקורי יווני, מצויין.הפך לבן בית אהוב אצלנו במשפחתנו . יש להכין עיסת שמרים מקדימה- יום לפני. ניתן ללוש את הבצק ידנית או במיקסר.מתקבלים כעשרים בייגלה חצי פריכים. לא מומלץ לחסוך בשומשום...נשמרים היטב במקפיא. רוצו להכין - זה הדבר האמיתי הנמכר בדוכני הבייגלה בכל פינת רחוב ביוון.אשמח לדעת אם אהבתם. . ן
כל המתכונים והתמונות בבלוג זה ,בכללם מתכונים אלו, שייכים לבלוג זה ואינם להפצה ללא רשות. תודה

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks and sounds good!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those Koulouria look beautiful! It's funny, today I was thinking about those bread rings and here they are, on your blog! I've never made Koulouria, but after seeing yours (I have a few recipes for that Greek bread), I am looking forwards to baking them! I guess that I'll have to try making those rings once...

wheresmymind said...

Soon...I want the recipe now!! Looks so dang good :D

Papatya said...

Mmmm.. koulouria are delicious Chanit!

I made them turkish style a few days ago. But untıl I photo them to publısh on my blog, we ate them all :)))))

See you,
Papatya

PS: I wonder where your orijin comes from :) Cause when I made & publish about Greek mousakka, you left a note sayıng we love mousakka, remember? :)

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

ulrike thanks ,
We realy enjoy them everyday, filling them with cheese .. or without ;)

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Hi rosa ,
As I wanted to compare some other Koulouria recipes, I didn't find more on the net, all the others were recipes for cookies with the same name..
I'm waiting for yours.
(I hope this recipe will be complete later, today)
thank you ! ;)

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Jeff Welcome back !!
The full recipe will be here very soon, I realy hope you'll bake them. and yes.. I want to go to Paris too (maybe this summer..)

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Papatya !
I want to see yours ! SO please...
Even I was born here, in Israel .. we love to eat tasty dishes from all around the world.. My mother use to make mousakka more often , years ago..when we were kids..
I like Greek food, Turkish food..and many others,
thank you :-)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

As I have the same Culinaria Greece book as you, one of me recipes is exactly the same...

I'll have to see if the others are any good.

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

rosa,
I'll be glad to know the results .

Katerina ante portas said...

Hallo chnit, this is a greek recipe, like yours I think!

I like your blog very much!

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Dear katerina
Thanks for visiting me and thanks for your comment, I'm very happy to see you here.
Do you have the english version for this recipe or an greek site in english ? I can't understand even one word..
Your diary is wonderful ! thank you, and welcome :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, dear chanit!
Check that after a quick translation.
It's like your recipe.
Mrs Vefa (Alexiadou) is a writer of cook books and a tv persona ,she has her culinary tv shaw.
I suggest this page in english for greek recipes etc etc.
I have a blogger friend, Athinaios, who is half co-patriot of yours! He's an excellent cook, among others.

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

katerina
I want to thank you SO much
For the translation, wonderful , it helps me !
since july 2006 the Koulouria become a family favorite !!
It's a celebration every time I bake them, my sister makes an order , days ahead.. !
Thanks for the links !!
You make me realy very happy today - thank you :-)

Creative Commons License
יצירה זו מופצת תחת רישיון ייחוס-שימוש לא מסחרי-איסור יצירות נגזרות 1.0 Israel של Creative Commons. Creative Commons License
by TwitterButton.com