May 21, 2007

ROOT BEER CAKE

What is root beer or do we have this beer here, in Israel...? No we have no root beer here, only the usual 'black beer' (or malt beer) which is made of :water,malt,sugar,hops ,caramel and CO2..is this the same as root beer? I would realy like to know. So, I could not wait again..using beer for a cake, cooking it.. and guess what ? I've gut a very nice brown-even small cake in minutes. :-)


ROOT BEER CAKE /Root beer org 

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon baking soda Pinch salt 1 cup root beer (do not use diet) 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened 2 eggs 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch spring-form pan. For cake, sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Put 1 cup root beer in a small saucepan; boil, uncovered, until it is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. 
Cool to lukewarm. Beat brown sugar and butter in large bowl of an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. 
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stop the mixer and add the reduced root beer and vanilla. Mix just to combine. Fold in the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Poke holes all over top with a toothpick. Brush with about 3 tablespoons of the root beer. Remove the sides from the pan and cool cake completely. For frosting, mix 6 tablespoons root beer, confectioners??? sugar, butter and vanilla in a small bowl to make a thin frosting. Spread over top of cooled cake, letting it drip down the sides. [I've baked this cake in 9inch pan and 30 minutes only, without any topping]

the beer before cooking..

5 comments:

Ubergeek said...

Hi,

I'm a frequent reader, rare commenter, but as an American living in Israel, I feel like I can finally contribute!

I really haven't looked, but I've never seen anything that resembles root beer in Israel. Much as its name would suggest, root beer is made from roots (I'm not sure which kind, but Wikipedia seems to think it's from the Sassafras tree, which is native to the east coast of America, and I'd be inclined to agree that is the root that is used in most cases), and has a distinct flavor. It's a bit hard to describe, and it depends on the kind that you get. Some are strong and bitter (Barq's), and some are soft and creamy (A&W). Either way, they're perfect with vanilla ice floating in it for a root beer float.

Usually they're non-alcoholic soft drinks, and malt beer doesn't even come close to the taste. But, if your cake turns out well with malt beer, then it doesn't matter!

חג שבועות שמח!

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Hi and welcome !!
It's very nice to meet you here ,
Your comment was very helpful to me,I was thinking that both beers aren't alike...but to try is always good.
I've found humor and interesting posts and links by your Blog,I'll visit you there, later .

thank you for your comment and :
חג שמח
* I liked your Blog name ;-)

Ubergeek said...

Thanks. You're welcome any time, but I don't promise to post frequently. Being a medical student and trying to have a life come first. I have to say, I love your site and try your recipes often, and I've loved every one so far! Keep them coming (and I love being able to practice Hebrew AND read about food at the same time)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Thanks for speaking about my event! Your cakes look delicious..

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

ubergeek and rosa, thank you ;-)

Creative Commons License
יצירה זו מופצת תחת רישיון ייחוס-שימוש לא מסחרי-איסור יצירות נגזרות 1.0 Israel של Creative Commons. Creative Commons License
by TwitterButton.com