December 10, 2005

Sabaya A Yemenite Baked Dough





















I realy don't know if I'm making this recipe in the right way... but.. Let's try Together.. Sabaya is A Yemenite baked dough ,Someone told me It's tasty, and I have to believe him..
' Yemenite' , in Israel use
'samneh' which is clarified butter =ghee [Please click 'Next' on the butter pages all about butter ! ]
This 'cake like' dish is full with layers,I found an old recipe. here in one of the Israeli forum I read.
I'll try half of the full recipe, and like always.. if It's Very good, I'll double the ingrediants next time.
Like many other Yemenite dough- dishes, you need few and common ingrediants:
Flour ,Yeast ,Sugar ,Water
and.. Butter, yes very soft one (or samneh..).

You can eat Sabaya as a salty dish with grated tomatos and Hot pepper or like me with 100% pure Maple syrup.. [The dough is not sweet)
Recipe

500 gr AP flour
1 TB dry yeast
2- 3 TB sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water (or 1 1/2 cups)
80-100 gr soft butter (or ghee)
_____________________________________________________________________
Mix :flour+yeast+sugar.add the water and mix to a soft dough.cover,let it rise for 1 hour.
Wet your hands and knead the dough, for 1-2 minutes, cover , let it rise again for 1 hour..
divide the dough to 5 parts, roll each one to a ball, let the ball rise for 30 minutes. Roll every ball tin, spread with butter or ghee, put one layer above the other.. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown in a hot oven =350F /180C .


Spread butter or ghee on every layer..






6 comments:

sailu said...

Chanith,you are one hellava excellent baker...superb!Just freak out on your food pictures,makes me want to jump of the screen and grab them..:)
Btw,Chanith,I’ve tagged you to do a meme -you are what you eat…the latest meme going around. Hope you can participate and
share your top favourite foods.Pls check the link below:
http://indiacuisine.blogspot.com/2005/12/you-are-what-you-eat-meme-my-top-10_10.html

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Dear sailu ,
I'm blushing now,thanks for your compliments ! You realy make me SO happy :-)
Thank you for your invitation , hope to write soon ! ;)

Anonymous said...

This looks deliciously appetising!I am sure it's something to feast on!

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Thank you lera !

Sandra Le Petrin said...

Oh something i'm gonna try asap!! I love to test recipes from abroad, this is one i never saw before, thanks chanit

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Hi avital !
Please add some salt and more sugar to the dough, eat it warm,and eating Sabaya with salty/Hot foods is better..(not like I did..)
Thank you (avital is a common name ,here in Israel) :-)

Creative Commons License
יצירה זו מופצת תחת רישיון ייחוס-שימוש לא מסחרי-איסור יצירות נגזרות 1.0 Israel של Creative Commons. Creative Commons License
by TwitterButton.com