April 19, 2007

Dolmades - Greek Stuffed grape leaves עלי גפן ממולאים

I love greek food, so visiting the market yesterday open my appetite to make greek stuffed grape leaves. the leaves were fresh but not homogenous, I asked for 200gr leaves, but I didn't know some are smaller..I think larger once are much better for stuffing. These are my first Dolmades,filled with rice and greens ,last year ran made them for us, not in the same way. I know my Dolmades aren't perfect because of one big mistake: you have to blanched the fresh leaves briefly in boiling water,and I ...just soaked them for 1 hour in hot water, so it was harder to roll them.. . Believe me: it was a short pleasure making this dish.I think most of us think making stuffed vegetables is a full time job.. for hours or for a day, ask ran.. but this dish is so easy and so quick so we can cook it more often , the right way of course.

 Dolmades - Greek Stuffed grape leaves
250gr fresh grape leaves or vine leaves in brine*
3/4 cup olive oil (or less)
2 large onions,finely chopped
3/4 cup short-grain rice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsely(or dill )
2-3 TB chopped fresh mint
salt and pepper
water (about 1 1/2 cups)
juice from 1 lemon


1. wash the fresh grape leaves, rinse in cold water, then blanched them briefly in boiling water. If using leaves in brain, soak them in hot water 1 hour, drain. [my mistake:the water were not boiling ,so the leaves didn't get softer , and were still light green..* )
2. Heat 1/2 cup olive oil in a pan, add onions,cook over low heat 5 minutes; remove from heat, stand covered for 5 minutes
.
3.Add rice,herbs, salt and pepper to pan( you can add 6 spring onions chopped,I didn't add them)mix well.
4. Lay out a grape leaf,veine side up.place 3 ts of mixture onto center of leaf.fold sides over mixture, then roll towards tip of the leaf.repeat process with remaining filling and leaves.
5.Place 5 leaves over base of medium (or laege as I did..)pan; arrange rolled dolmades into pan in two layers; drizzle with remaining oil.
6. Place a plate on top of the dolmades; cover with water.bring to boil,reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
serve warm or cold.* This recipe is based on "step by step greek cooking" /here is another recipe:
Papou Marinakis' Dolmades -"Makes enough for the entire Greek army (more or less)"

ניסיתם פעם להכין עלי גפן ממולאים ? אם לא אני ממליצה, ההכנה מאוד כייפית ומאוד זריזה,המלית מורכבת מאורז, פטרוזיליה או שמיר, נענע מלח ופלפל.חשוב לחלוט זריז את עלי הגפן, .במידה והם טריים ולא משומרים, לימון ברוטב כמובן מוסיף המון, המתכון- למעלה - מומלץ בחום .ניסתם, אהבתם את המתכון? אתם מוזמנים לספר לי, לפרגן וגם להמליץ
cooking for 45 minutes

putting an old lid over the stuffed and rolled grape leaves

covering with olive oil,lemon juice and water

aranging the leaves


folding the grape leaves

the rice is uncooked at all

The stuffing :uncooked rice,onion,parsely,mint,salt and pepper

200gr fresh grape leaves העלים עלו לנו עשרה שקלים,לקילו זה עולה פחות

Chanita Harel© כל הזכויות שמורות על תכנים ותמונות שלנו התפרסם היום בבלוג האוכל של חניתה הראל ורן This content belongs to Chanita Harel at My Mom’s Recipes And More. All writing and photography copyright © 2005-2010 unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved.http://momsrecipesandmore.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Handmade By Svetlana said...

O, I like this. I make the same dish, but the grape leaves in Bulgaria aren't still ready.

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Thank you svetlane !
I'm in love with ..grape leaves, it's spring time now, here in Israel, so this is the season to buy green leaves ,and I'm going to buy how much I can ! :-)

Creative Commons License
יצירה זו מופצת תחת רישיון ייחוס-שימוש לא מסחרי-איסור יצירות נגזרות 1.0 Israel של Creative Commons. Creative Commons License
by TwitterButton.com